Monday, June 7, 2010

My brother Brian

Today(June 7) is my brother's birthday. He would have been 54. But he died a couple of months ago. I would have called him tonight and we would have chatted about life, about our families, about ministry (he was a preacher, also). Our sense of humor was a lot alike, so we would have laughed about stuff without even finishing the sentence.
Just a couple of thoughts:

1. He was a good man. I guess most people feel that way about their brother. Brian loved his wife, loved his children, loved his grandchildren, loved his church, loved preaching and leading worship, did things to show that he cared, and stayed faithful to Jesus. During my senior year of college, when I thought everybody had forgotten my birthday, Brian threw me a surprise party. I still remember.

2. I think it is okay to talk about people who've died. I hope someone will talk about me.

3. This sort of helps put things in perspective. I could die suddenly, too. What is really important? Am I ready?

4. All those calls, cards, emails, and even messages on facebook did help. It is nice to know someone took a minute to let you know they care.

5. I still can hardly believe it is true. Somehow I think it is ingrained in us that we are supposed to live forever.

6. It makes all the difference in the world that Brian (and I) know Jesus who has the words of eternal life. A lot of people put birthday greetings to him on facebook today. They know he is still alive.

7. I'll miss talking to him tonight.
Brian, Mark, and me -

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this insight, Riohard. I have never gone through what you have. I know that at any time I could the kind of call that you got. I'm sure that what you wrote here will help many people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice tribute Richard. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will all be reunited in heaven. Praise God!!! Great post, Richard. Thinking of & praying for all y'all Atwoods today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well stated, brother. We miss him, too. Looking forward that GRAND REUNION still to come!
    Gary Settle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Brother Richard for inviting us into your thoughts today. Praying for all the Atwoods and thanking our Father in heaven for Brian's life. A life spent in service to our Lord is a life well invested.

    Tim Osborn

    ReplyDelete
  6. He was a very special man who was like a second pastor to me when I faced the hardship of a divorce. I can't wait to see him again. Happy belated birthday Brian. I bet it was great celebrating your birthday with your Mom again!
    Cousin Kev

    ReplyDelete