Tuesday, February 2, 2010

IS IT OKAY TO INVITE UNSAVED TO CHURCH?

A friend of mine recently wrote a blog talking about the purpose of church. He asked whether we should invite unsaved people to church. Here’s a link to that blog:
http://thebrinkonline.com/blog/read/a-thought-on-the-purpose-of-church-services
His basic thought was that he had been taught all his life to make the service appealing to unbelievers so we could reach them. But he was afraid this was not Biblical and would hinder Christians from witnessing outside the church.

Here is my comment:
I'm glad you brought this up for a couple of reasons. This is very important and we need to be talking about it. And I'm glad you are willing to separate tradition from the Bible. Tradition is not always wrong, but let's be willing to ask why we do something. However, I don't see most churches really changing their services to reach the unsaved. I know some churches do things like leave out a cross or some songs for fear of offending people. But I've never been to any of those. I'm afraid that most churches aren't really thinking about the unsaved at all. Or at least not very much. I've got so many thoughts on this that I'll probably write a blog about it myself. I'll send you a link. This is an important issue for the home missionaries that I work with. Personally, I want to get more unsaved people in church and want to see us all to a better job welcoming every newcomer. I think we can do this without compromising. Thanks again for your good thoughts.

That’s the end of the comment that I posted. I have other thoughts on the purpose of church. But I want to say a few things specifically about having unbelievers in our services.

I do believe it is Biblical to invite the unsaved to church as a way of evangelizing them. Psalm 40:3 says “And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.” Seeing our praise of God can be a testimony to unbelievers. In I Corinthians 14 we see that the unsaved can come to God through preaching: “24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.” When Jesus tells His followers to love one another, it is a testimony to all. 35 "By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." Hopefully, the people we invite to church can see this in our church.

I can see a couple of dangers associated with this. One is pragmatism. The dictionary defines pragmatism as
a philosophical movement or system having various forms, but generally stressing practical consequences as constituting the essential criterion in determining meaning, truth, or value.

Pragmatism = whatever works.
That philosophy could lead to appeals to the flesh that gather a crowd, but don’t build a church. We could be tempted to change our message for fear of offending someone. (I believe that many people want to hear the truth preached. Mainline, liberal denominations are hemorrhaging members. Who wants to waste time being a part of something that isn’t real and doesn’t matter? I think a lot of people in America are tired of cotton candy and want some meat.)
But you can make people feel welcome without compromise. When my wife and I have someone visit our home, we don’t compromise what we believe. For the last two years, we have hosted a Christmas dinner for students at the local International English Institute. 25-30 students show up along with the teachers and a few people from our church. Several of these students are Muslim. We sang Christmas carols, prayed before we ate (in Jesus’ name), read the Christmas story, and gave them a Christian tract along with some goodies. We hope that we sowed good seed into their lives.

Another danger of relying on inviting people to church as a means of evangelism is that Christians won’t obey the command to preach the gospel. My friend fears that we’ll just let the preacher evangelize. I don’t believe it should be either “Come or See” or “Go and Tell”, but both. All Christians should be involved in outreach. Preachers should be teaching people ideas on how to sow the seeds of the gospel in people’s lives. When people do speak to their friends and family, it will usually progress naturally to an invitation to church.

I don’t see churches changing their services that much for the unsaved. What I see more is churches not reaching sinners at all. Many churches haven’t baptized anyone in a year or two or three. Why not? Why don’t Christians in many churches invite their friends and family members to church? That is the subject of my next blog.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Richard! I'm glad to know you call me "friend" after the blog I wrote! :-)

    The early church didn't turn unbelievers away who wanted to attend their meetings, and they probably invited them to attend to see what it was like. So I don't see anything directly wrong with inviting unbelievers to church. But I do see the main purpose of "worship" or what we call what happens on Sunday morning as "the assembling of ourselves together."

    I see it as a dangerous thing for Christians to outsource their responsibility of evangelism to the institution of the church. We view the church like a business that exists to provide a service to people (which is why I think Christians church-hop so much). No. The church is a group of people, not a business. So if Christians aren't evangelizing, then the Church is not evangelizing!

    So while I agree there's nothing wrong with inviting unbelievers into our worship services and, generally speaking, we're not welcoming enough to those people. But the ultimate responsibility of evangelizing is not the institution of the church, it's people in the church. It's part of being a disciple. I'm not sure you can be a disciple and not evangelize.

    "Follow me, and I will make YOU fishers of men . . ."

    Thanks for your willingness to discuss this issue with a young whipper snapper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is always such a needed element of this issue as well as so many others in the church.

    Its clear in both the Old and New Testaments that those who did not yet know God witnessed the worship of believers. Three thousand of them came to Christ in the first church service ever!

    But I say balance is the key because, on one hand, I've attended worship gatherings where a heavy emphasis was placed on reaching the lost and very little effort was made toward discipling the saved, even though there may have only been one or two, or perhaps even no one present who didn't already know Christ. Consequently the sheep went unfed or only got a snack.

    On the other hand I've visited churches that appeared to have little or no awareness whatsoever that unchurched people were in their midst and a golden opportunity was missed to share the Good News by example and teaching.

    I think another important aspect of this conversation is the fact that the Bible calls on Christ followers to evangelize the lost individually AND corporately.

    Let's do both simultaneously! Let's go outside the walls of the church meeting place to share the Good News, but let's not pass up the opportunity to bring them in and give them a taste of heaven to make them hungry to want to know God personally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog as always. I enjoyed the basic question involved. We rely heavily on come and see as a method. But we do it actually more than in our worship services. I also think we should go and tell. If a church does decide to use the come and see method as primary they need to make sure that they are integrating the gospel into the sermon. As a point in the sermon where a clear gospel presentation is giving or as the sermon. We try to make sure that when we do an advertise series that at least one whole sermon is dedicated to being a gospel presentation and that each sermon has the gospel in it some where. And we should never compromise for expedience sake. Then we might bill a church a mile long and and inch deep. Good stuff Brother Richard and enjoyed Jacob's comments as well.

    Tim O

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one more thought and then I'll shut up.

    We all know unbelievers did attend worship services in the Old and New testaments (and the early church). What I wonder is why did they attend?

    I don't think they attended because the church had great music or because they had an amazing daycare or a great "Family Life Center" with glass backboards in the gym and state of the art work out equipment or a really sweet coffee shop. I mean kudos if that method is a step in someone coming to Christ, but I just wonder if that's the appropriate model.

    I would hope the reason people "come and see" (which we agree there's nothing wrong with that) is that the Christians who are going and telling are so strange that the unbelievers are incredibly intrigued by them!

    What would the church look like if every member actually turned the other cheek like Jesus said for us to? How strange would we look if we would actually rejoice when we go through trials because of the hope we have in Christ instead of complain just like everyone else!? How ridiculous would we look if we gave away more money than we spent on ourselves?

    If I were an unbeliever, I would REALLY want to see what those kind of people did when they got together!

    ReplyDelete