Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I’M SICK OF ALLITERATION

I’m talking about having all the points of a sermon outline start with the same letter. Something like this:

Building Churches
1. Beckon People to Come
A. Be nice to them
B. Balloons are pretty
2. Babies Should Be Taken Care Of
A. Boy, they can cry a lot
B. Bake cookies at 325 degrees
3. Before you start, pray (Guess I should have made that the first point)
A. Bereshith means in the beginning
B. Bow you head

Obviously, I’m being a little facetious. I have used alliteration many times.
But some messages that I hear have outlines that stretch to get the points alliterated. They seem to be trying to make their outlines into works of art. I hear words that I’ve never heard of before: semi-pelagianism and solafidianism (which is actually a good word).

Having a cute outline is not the main goal for our preaching. I would rather hear a sermon that actually said something. I would like to hear some Bible content. I would like to hear some practical application. I would like to hear a message that leads me to some action.
And yes, it’s alright to tell a story or two – if the story relates to the point. Jesus told stories. (But I don’t remember too many of His alliterated outlines)

With some people, preachers only have one chance a week to give a true Bible message that can impact their lives. And with some visitors, preachers only have one chance, period. This is too important an opportunity to waste with mumbled clichés or outlines that seek to impress instead of teach.

I don’t really care whether your outline is alliterated, starts with each letter of the alphabet, or if you only have one point.
But say something!


The Bible is just as true and relevant in the 21st century as it was in the first century. People need to hear a message from the Bible that they can understand. In your town this Sunday, probably one of the most important things happening will be your preaching.
Please say something!

Try it. Break the addiction. Preach this Sunday without alliteration.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more, I remember plenty of times hearing preachers use words no one has ever heard of, for the sake of alliteration...it becomes laughable, which in turn takes away from the message

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry is...
    Powerful
    Purposeful
    Plentiful
    its...
    Interesting
    Interjecting
    Interspecting
    I'm with you though...I'd rather have a message that had some explanation, maybe supported with some illusration and then lead me to an application, for alliteration often leaves me with some frustration...but in further contemplation as long as it's clear truth from the Word it's all good. Keep these blogs goiing...good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate alliteration. So annoying!

    ReplyDelete